When you had a car breakdown, a mechanic or a technician must have helped you with the repairs. So, you know the value of a car repair technician who is good at his job. You can also become a mechanic if you have it in you and the passion to deal with engines and machines. If you are thinking about how to become an auto mechanic technician then there are certain things that you must follow. With an affinity and some hard work, you can become a very good technician.
Let us take a look at the requirements of how to become an auto repair technician:
Feel the passion for a career: The first step to moving ahead towards this career is to have it in you. If you have an affinity to repair engines, have a knack in complex electronics or have your car’s mechanics by heart, then you may be up for a career as a technician.
Passing high school: The basic requirement to becoming a technician is qualifying high school. This is the minimum requirement for all companies. Higher education than this is not required. Having higher education may be an added qualification.
- 1. Start early: You may start early by preparing for a career in automotives in high school itself. Some schools offer vocational programs both in automotive repair as well as electric trades. Along with these, the other prerequisites are math and physical science courses. You need to be strong in these subjects to understand the mechanics of a vehicle and repair it.
- 2. Training programs: If you want to be good at your work, you need to seek apprenticeship or enroll into some training programs at some institute or a company. Good mechanics that know their job well are hard to find and if you can prove to be a good technician, you will have a prospective career. There are many manufacturers or large employers who offer certified courses. You may avail these courses and get certified as good technicians.
- 3. Start working as interns: You may like to start off and get hands-on training at some body shop. You may have the privilege of joining a company and start working as a trainee. The pay may not be very lucrative in the beginning but as you gain experience, customers also get to know about the kind of work that you do. This way you can either have a business of your own or work for some company that pays you higher and enough for what you are worth as a technician.
- 4. Look for technical schools: You can take your career higher by enrolling in the technical school. There may be programs specifically designed to prepare for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification. It will do you good.
- 5. Look out for the right opportunity: the best part for a technician is the one that gives him/her a good break. Look out for such opportunities and when you find one, grab it and start working on it.
When working as a technician, look for an employer who provides great professional opportunities. If you are good at your work, you will be recognized.